Rad & Dot Net - Digital Warrior

Assorted ramblings (and vents!!) from a techie on the sunny shores of Kenya, East Africa

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Visual Basic.NET

A project I'm enhancing, done in VB.NET brought back all the memories, good and bad, of VB. Circa 2000 AD I was an ardent fan on VB until I did a project that required intelligent clients and a central server. Reporting was done through Crystal Reports. The hair I ripped from the roots trying to figure out why the exact same installation failed to work on two machines with identical specifications is one of my starkest memories.

Another is of why the Crystal Reports DLLs refused to register, either through the installation or regsvr.

Yet another is the 7,898,909 versions of the VB runtime that I found on the assorted machines, some of which refused to run the application, others which swiftly and ruthlessly decided that components like report viewers, common dialogs, etc. were a mistake on my part, and what I had actually wanted were picture boxes, proceeding then to convert them accordingly.

The wild eyed look in my eye prompted a chap of mine, Tim, to again demonstrate the virtues of Borland Delphi. In fact on that note we used to have furious debates on the merits and demerits of VB and Delphi, but on that particular day my spirit had been crushed after an entire week trying to get an application installed and running on 12 clients.

After a half hour tour of Delphi, suffice it to say that particular project was the last time I laid eyes on VB. I unistalled VB, installed Delphi and never looked back. Of course the Visual Studio 2002 beta appeared soon after and I have been swimming in two pools ever since :)

Until now of course. The DLL woes are gone, and there is finally structured exception handling, and object orientation. However I cannot help but get the felling that it has been 'hacked' for lack of a better word to get it CLS compliant. And even before you flame me 'hacked' is not necessarily a bad thing! The festival of keywords is impressive, reminding me of my days as an unwilling schoolboy learning the periodic table but on the bright side the concepts of OOP are refreshed every time you type MustInherit.

But so far all i can say is that compared to it's predecessor, VB.NET is the Homo Sapiens to VB6's amoeba

Gripes:

1) The sheer amount of typing to be done!

War And Peace

Public ReadOnly Property ID() As String

    Get

            Return 
m_ID

    
End Get

End Property


Puss In Boots

public string 
ID{
 
    get{return m_ID;}

}




2) The convoluted way of coding for the events. There must be a less ridiculous way than those two combo boxes at the top of the code view! Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery it would be nice for the C# property grid with it's events pane migrated.

Also, is there a way to get Enter to do the same work as Tab? I've not had time to explore too much but my heavy C# bias and usage has accustomed me to use that key to autocomplete. It must be an option buried somewhere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home