Rad & Dot Net - Digital Warrior

Assorted ramblings (and vents!!) from a techie on the sunny shores of Kenya, East Africa

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Lethargy 97, 2000, XP, etc

Those of us who are Kenyans I feel sure feel the same sense of outrage when after working on an Office Document and hitting F7, the spell checker helpfully offers Mombassa as an alternative for the accurate spelling, Mombasa

I can't offhand recall if this same ridiculous behaviour manifests in Office 2003 but am willing to take wagers that it does! I'll check as soon as I'm out of this cybercafe whose machines seem to be running Windows 98 Build 1 and office 97

And on that note when it comes to spelling dictionaries we have English (Australian), English (New Zealand), English (UK), English (US), English (South Africa), English (Zimbabwe). Strangely there is no English (Kenya).

Oh, and did I mention that Microsoft have regional office in Kenya?!!

Bonus!
There is a certain road in the quiet suburbs of Upper Hill called Matumbato Road. Type that in Word, spell check and marvel at the suggestions :)

2 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The first time I got that MSA spell check issue I thought I had lost my mind. I was like there is no way I could spell Mombasa incorrectly. I even did a google just to confirm!

    - Kui

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger M said…

    That spell checker is always full of suprises. Make sure you try out Matumbato. Someone somewhere has a warped sense of humour!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home